Michael was in the role of Business Architect at Network Rail for 13 years. Before that, he was in a similar role at NatWest, being a member of the team that created the IT Architecture department. He has been the lead Business Architect for numerous multi-million pound enterprise-level programmes that have encompassed multiple functions within companies and in some cases an entire industry.
In these very different businesses, he had similar responsibilities:
- Understanding the true business requirements and translating business strategies into IT strategy
- Ensuring that the IT Strategy remained aligned with the business strategy and objectives and was owned by the business
- Ensuring that the IM Strategy was practical and implementable
- Designing overall solutions architectures – most recently in the domain of train operations and rail Traffic Management
Design Authority - working with development projects, to deploy the strategic architectures in the most effective manner and ensuring that projects remain aligned to them; achieving the optimal balance between strategic solutions and the tactical solutions needed to meet business objectives in the short term
- Communicating complex technical issues in a way that inherent advantages of the strategic approach are highlighted and accepted by non-technical business stakeholders
- Stakeholder and relationship management at all levels of companies and across industries in multiple countries.
- Developed a multi-level model for payments that was being applied to all types of payment and funds transfer within the company
- Developed and instituted a relationship management approach to Architecture Governance
- 5 and 10 year enterprise IT strategies leading to investment decisions
- Development of the enterprise architecture for a major segment of the GB railway
- Consultancy support to set the direction of cross industry IT systems.
- Rail Traffic Management
- Network Model
- Rail Industry DRACAS (Defects Recording and Corrective Actions System)
- Traction and Rolling Stock systems strategy
- Cross-industry remote condition monitoring
- Telematics Applications for Freight (TAF-TSI) and Telematics Applications for Passengers (TAP-TSI)
Michael is TOGAF 9.1 Certified.